Thursday, August 22, 2013

Babies!!!!

Milking again this morning. Getting a little better at it, it's pretty relaxing when I do get it right. After that picked weeds for a while and then helped with the afternoon feeding. Today was the first time I collected eggs, had to move the chickens and check around after them. Carrying back the eggs I really felt like a farm girl. Not sure why the milking and goat care hadn't, go figure... Now I just need to get some overalls. Had a pretty easy afternoon, just went and said hi to all the animals, especially the dogs. Unfortunately I went to see the puppies after petting their mom for a while. Bad idea. They started squeaking and running around because I think they smelled her. Oops. After that though things got pretty excited. I was walking by the pen with the soon-to-be moms and noticed one up against a wall, not looking so good. I had one of the other girls nearby come look at her and she said the goat was in labor! About 20 minutes later two little goats were born! I got to watch the whole thing which was incredible. Not as bloody as I thought it would be and the goat didn't even make any noise. She was a champ. The babies started trying to walk within minutes of being born. 10 minutes later and they really had the hang of it. Learning how to feed wasn't nearly as easy. Probably took 30 minutes and lots of trying before they finally found a teat. And then the second try took a little effort too. We get to name the babies and because the mama is Dallas, the boys will be Aberdeen and Arlin (spelling?), two other Texas cities. They get to stay with their mom for 3-4 days and then they'll be separated with the other newest baby and bottle fed 4 times a day.


Meeting the kids

Trying to keep track of two is tough

Still trying to find food

Meeting JuJu


I got to help dry this little guy off right after he was born.

He keeps yelling and sticking out his tongue as far as possible

No comments:

Post a Comment